Salford, Greater Manchester
£600 - £700 per day
about 2 months ago
Senior React/Frontend UI Developer
6 Months - Outside IR35 - Remote/Manchester
Circa. £650 per day
Our global Media and Streaming client topped 100 million active subscribers just 16 months from launching and aspire for many more. This team are responsible for building what aims to be the largest media streaming platform in the world. They foster innovation, challenge each other, and put their users before all else: connecting them with the stories they love.
We're looking for people who want to challenge themselves, to grow; people who understand scale... and care deeply about reliability. You will be surrounded by Engineers/Developers and leaders who are eager to help you succeed and be part of an ambitious, high performing, rewarding culture. If this sounds like something for you, read on!
How they work
The teams in Manchester work in small squads that promote Agile practices. Each team and their respective squads are responsible for a collection of microservices and their infrastructure, from building to delivery and maintenance. They take great pride in owning what they build and seeing things through to the end.
There is a mature DevOps culture in place where teams are responsible for the infrastructure and deployment of those applications and are actively expanding their Manchester born SRE function which aims to advance their knowledge and innovation globally in areas such as Observability, Reliability and Availability.
You will have the autonomy to choose the technologies and processes that help achieve objectives. So each team leverages the technology that fts their needs best. You'll see the team working with data processing / streaming like Kinesis, Apache Spark and Flink, application technologies like PostgreSQL, Redis, and DynamoDB and breaking things using in house chaos principles and tools such as Gatling to drive load… all deployed and hosted on AWS.
What we would like to see:
- Experience implementing web interfaces and applications using React (or other modern front-end framework)
- In-depth experience in a NodeJS application development
- Middle tier / web services experience, including REST and GraphQL
- Understanding of authorisation and authentication in modern web applications
- Ensure code quality through the writing of tests.
- Experience with or an interest in "DevOps" tooling & infrastructure as code.
- A strong understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
- Mentoring and helping to level up other engineers.
- Excellent communication skills, specifically in understanding, framing, distilling, and simplifying both technical & business requirements.
- Drive conversations with other engineering, product, and marketing teams to define and execute on product requirements
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and leading conversations where discordant views are present.
- An appetite to learn new technologies and a drive for continual improvement.
What you'll work on:
- This team is looking for someone to help build the front end of multiple internal products, critical to business operations. Over the next quarter candidates can expect to work on:
- Fixing bugs raised by users in any of the systems and services operated by the team
- Working on roadmap items in conjunction with backend teams for Experimentation and Customer Experience / QoS (see details on teams above):
- Defining and delivering visual components used in new and existing features of the products
- Collaborating on API specifications with back-end teams
- Defining and delivering internal APIs using GraphQL/REST
- Building and improving internal tooling used to support the above, including (but not limited to)
- Authorisation and authentication across supported services
- Shared component library for use across products
"Our high-scale in-house A/B testing platform. Deeply integrated into our platform to enable comprehensive experimentation on every aspect of the product. We're building a fully bespoke platform using cutting edge technologies. Their platform can serve millions of concurrent requests with single digit millisecond response times, whilst providing our users with a fully self-service experience including comprehensive in-tool curation and analysis of experiments."
"We're also responsible for our upcoming feature fagging capabilities, extending our experimentation platform to provide a fully dynamic, user specific configuration set to all clients and services to enable a truly universal end to end test, rollout, experiment, release, rollback capability."
Customer Experience / QoS
"Our team builds services to measure the Customer Experience for Video Playback, in real-time. This means taking high throughput streaming event data (~10TB/day) generated by our client applications and creating a user experience to support our analysts who generate insights into the underlying quality of the streaming experience, driving improvement. It requires us to make technical trade-offs between what we can achieve with the data we can gather, and the requirements from our internal users on a regular basis."