West End, London
£44000 - £49000 per annum + (salary includes £4K shift allowance)
2 months ago
3rd Line Shift Support Engineer required to join an established leader in this niche field within the Broadcast software industry, serving some of the world's best known broadcasters and helping over 50,000 journalists plan and produce news broadcasts for global audiences. This role is working in a small dynamic and friendly shift support team based in West London. The team are dedicated to the support of news editorial / newsroom systems for these TV and radio broadcasters worldwide. Shifts include Day/Night and some weekends on a rota basis.
We require an IT focused Support engineer with previous experience supporting critical applications where urgency is required. Ideally gained in a broadcasting environment, but other critical application environments such as financial trading and critical healthcare would also be suitable. The applications sit on a Microsoft Server stack so technical experience in this area is required, including Active Directory, virtual servers, SQL Server databases and ideally good Powershell.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day support of newsroom systems, liaising directly with the client, assuming ownership of issues through to resolution, carrying out the diagnosis and solving of technical issues, and escalating to the 4th Line where necessary.
This is a hands-on technical 3rd line role so you will be required to administer virtual servers and support production usage of the Newsroom software. This will include carrying out routine maintenance work as defined and agreed with the client, and providing guidance to 2nd Line support staff performing upgrades and configuration changes.
Key Skill Requirements
- MS Server 2012 R2
- Hyper V / VMWare
- Active Directory - Group Policy
- MS SQL (Oracle is acceptable)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- On site client facing experience
- Working in a fast turnaround environment with short SLAs
- Exposure to working within a 'Live Broadcasting' environment
- Knowledge of ITIL framework (solid understanding of Incident, Problem, Change)
- Knowledge of the MOS Protocol
- Any MS qualifications are desirable
- Work as part of a team within an agreed shift rota including on-call, weekends and public holidays
- Communicates and problem solves effectively, working to agreed Service Levels (SLAs) and consistently deliver a professional service
- Strong experience for supporting production applications in an enterprise Microsoft Windows environment
- Experience in working with ticket systems, e.g. Remedy
- Ability to plan and implement technical changes without unexpected disruption to the service and with minimal oversight
- Ability to collaborate effectively with Development and other operational support teams in to support the service
- Technical degree or equivalent experience
- Critically assess technical quality and performance, extracting and analysing system logs where available for escalating to the 4th Line Support Team and development
- Strong experience of Release Management processes for the deployment of application packages from development through to production environments
- Experience in working within Service Management based processes, continually striving to improve their performance
- Whilst not required, any German language skills would be advantageous
Following extensive training, the 3rd Line Support Engineer will join the shift rota which provides onsite support 7 days a week from 8am to 11pm and off site on call availability between 11pm and 8am, 365 days per year. The individual onsite shifts will be a combination of 8am to 8pm, 11am to 11pm and 9am to 5pm and on call between 11pm and 8am.